Often, men tend to either utter neglect their beards or pay too much attention to it, especially when it comes to the washing routine! Now, don’t you think considering all the time, patience, and dedication it takes to grow a beard, it deserves better than this?
In this guide, we are going to take you through all the reasons why you should wash your beard regularly, and how often! Once you complete this 8-minute read, you should be able to make this decision for your beloved beard! However, do remember that washing your beard will also require the right beard-shampoo. Now are you confused as to which is the right beard wash shampoo for you? Don’t worry, you can check here for the best beard wash shampoo.
Why Should You Wash Your Beard?
It is crucial to keep your beard in a healthy condition if you wish to garner compliments with its appearance. It will also change the way it feels against your face. For instance, it is essential to wash your bear in order to combat itching problems for those who are prone. How a good wash of the face removes all the dust and dead-skin, likewise goes for the beard. By washing your beard, you will be able to remove any polluted matter you have accumulated in your beard living in the big city!
You definitely do not want to screw up your impression in front of your boss, or your girlfriend when you’re out on a date. Keeping your beard clean and healthy is a part of your grooming routine that can make or break the way people look at you!
Why Is It Important To Use Specialized Products Instead Of Regular Shampoo?
One of the main reasons why you should wash your beard with a specialized beard-shampoo is the pH level. When it comes to hair, the pH of 4.5-5.0 is known to be a balanced pH. However, the shampoos that are generally marketed for head-hair often dry it out more than it is required to. This is because the shampoos are higher in acidity. For this, you need a shampoo that is gentle on your skin and hair and provides you with a fuller and softer beard feel.
Shampoos that are mildly acidic work better on the beards as they tend to harden the outer layer, and minimize the width of your hair. This provides you with a slightly glossy beard look that does not manage to get tangled on adjacent strands. Conditions and shampoos that are made specifically for beards take care of all of the above and provide a healthier look.
How Often Should You Wash Your Beard?
Washing your beard is not all that difficult! However, if you do not do it properly, you could end up sucking dry the essential oils in and make it abrasive. This is why it is recommended to wash your face every day but not the beard. Men usually have skin more inclined to the oily-type; therefore, to keep everything tidy and healthy, it is essential to wash your face thoroughly at least twice a day. This can be done once in the morning, and once right before you go to bed.
Our bodies produce a natural oil that retains the health of our beards, so if you wash it every day, you could strip all the necessary oils it requires. This leaves them dry and also vulnerable to potential damage in future. If we take an average, we recommend washing your beard twice a week at the least. If you are someone who is sporty and spends a lot of time outdoors, then you can opt for washing your beard every day as well. However, it would be best if you did it correctly.
You can follow the below guidelines to kickstart your washing routine, and eventually make your own routine according to your requirements/activity:
It is essential to take your skin type into account before you jump into the washing process!
- Oily skin: Wash your beard on a more frequent basis. You can do it daily if your skin can tolerate the acidity. This is done to prevent any buildup inside the pores, which can often lead to acne.
- Dry skin: Try to wash your beard only every two to three days. This is to ensure you don’t dry out your skin so much that it turns flaky or cracks.
There are two main beard types:
- Thick hair: Thick hair tends to be on the drier side. Men who have curly hair can experience more dryness as the sebum has a difficult time travelling down. In order to keep your beard hydrated, you can try washing it every three days.
- Thin hair: As opposed to the dryness of thick hair, thin hair is more inclined to the greasier side. You might even get away with everyday washing if you want to. This will provide a fuller look to your beard.
Your environment and surroundings have an impact on your beard:
- Dry climate: If you live in a sterile environment, where it is considerably hot or cold, then your beard will lack the required moisture. While the dryness of heat will cause your skin to feel dehydrated, the thirst of cold can freeze and break your beard. In both of these cases, it is advised to let the sebum build up on your skin adequately and then wash your beard. We recommend you to lessen the frequency of your shampooing and always to use a moisturizing conditioner on your beard to revitalize it with essential moisture.
- Wet climate: Humidity, especially high humidity levels, have always worked for beards and skin! It helps keep them soft and supple. However, too much of a good thing can be wrong as well. In cases of excess moisture, more dirt and microorganisms can latch on to your skin, clog your pores, and suffocate it. This is often the reason for acne and breakouts. If you live in a wet climate, it is advised to increase the number of times you shampoo, even every day works. However, always follow-up with a conditioner and beard oil!