The Keto diet is popular these days and for a good reason. A lot of people have tried and attested to its effectiveness because it helped them to lose unwanted weight. Studies also show that it’s effective in treating diabetes, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease, and certain cancers.
This high-fat diet leads to increased androgen production. Testosterone is an androgen that promotes male sex features development and controls male reproductive functions.
Therefore, there is a close connection between the keto diet and testosterone levels. Various studies attest to the direct correlation of fat intake with the level of testosterone levels among healthy adult males as documented by the Journal of Steroid Biochemistry.
Healthy testosterone levels have many benefits such as:
- it helps maintain a healthy sex drive
- it builds muscles
- it determines body fat distribution
- it preserves bone density
- it results in a healthy heart and good blood circulation
- it is a great mood balancer
- it results in better spatial and verbal abilities
These are the food that you have to eat if you’re on a keto diet:
- dark chocolate
- seafood like shrimps, crabs, salmon
- low carb vegetables like cauliflower, kale, and broccoli
- berries: blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- nuts and seeds: pumpkin seeds, almonds, pecans, walnuts, and chia seeds
- meat and poultry products
Check out these facts that show how the keto diet helps in increasing your testosterone level:
1. The keto diet boosts insulin sensitivity and fat loss.
Low testosterone can cause type 2 diabetes and even chronic kidney disease. The Keto diet boosts insulin sensitivity and fat loss, thus, preventing diabetes and naturally, an increase in testosterone levels.
2. It increases sex drive or libido.
One indication of low testosterone is a dip in one’s libido. High-fat diets such as the keto diet result in increased sex hormones, thus, increasing sex drive or libido and naturally, the levels of testosterone.
3. It aids in weight loss.
Keto diet is an effective way to lose weight. Similarly, it increases testosterone levels. Testosterone is responsible for the increase in muscle mass resulting in controlled weight and increased energy.
4. It helps you to have a sound sleep at night.
Lack of sleep results in low testosterone levels. The Keto diet is proven to help you sleep soundly. You may experience insomnia during the adjustment time but as the body gets used to the diet you sleep better and deeper. Similarly, having adequate sleep results in an increase in testosterone levels.
5. It takes good care of your heart.
The keto diet boosts heart health because of an increase in HDL or good cholesterol in the body. This closely correlates to increased testosterone levels which prevent the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
6. It prevents depression and anxiety.
Studies show that the keto diet reduces depression and anxiety. This correlates with an increase in testosterone which enhances and balances one’s moods.
The keto diet provides many benefits such as weight loss and reduces the risks of diabetes, cancer, and epilepsy. Moreover, it helps increase testosterone levels because it’s a high-fat diet, it boosts insulin sensitivity, promotes better sleep, boosts heart health, balances the mood and improves the libido or sex drive.