We look at some of the reasons why adding a simple smoothie into your breakfast routine might be the best decision you make this year, its full of benefits.
We love a good smoothie here at TheBeardMag and it makes breakfast that much more refreshing and unique. They are also very healthy and can give you that 5 a day health kick to start the day (not to mention good for your beard).
Our favourite is the Pretty Potion Berry & Spinach Hair Growth Smoothie. Berries are a great source of Vitamin C, which helps the body absorb Iron. Vitamin C is also essential for the formation of collagen, which keeps hair strong and flexible, preventing it from becoming dry, brittle and easily breakable.
Spinach provides folate and Iron. Iron helps red blood cells transport oxygen around the body. Iron deficiency (anemia) can inhibit the transportation of oxygen to cells and can cause hair loss.
1 cup baby spinach
1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1/2 banana, cut into chunks
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3–5 ice cubes
Prep time: 5 min.
Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth and frothy.
Still not convinced? Here’s 10 reasons why you should kickstart your day with a smoothie –
1. Get your daily allowance of fruits and vegetables. Packing in your daily allowance can be challenging, they recommend 5 a day. Blending a couple of these in your morning drink will ensure that you reach your nutritional goals.
2. Quick and easy. This is so convenient, all you need to do is add the ingredients into your blender and hey presto, the shake is complete. This will give you extra time to snooze in the morning and catch that early commute.
3. Delicious. There are hundreds of smoothie recipes out there, you can literally add every ingredient that you like. If you can’t find a recipe, then just make one yourself.
4. Detox. We are bombarded with photoshopped images of the so-called ‘perfect body’ but how do we maintain a healthy/balanced lifestyle with so much temptation? Give your digestion a break by adding superfoods such as kale and nuts into your smoothie.
5. Build muscle and improve athletic performance. Try and continue that January fitness and health regime with a healthy morning shake. Oats are the perfect slow release carbohydrate and will keep you energized for hours.
6. Beauty. If you want that glowing skin, soft hair and shiny beard then you need to add a smoothie into your morning routine. Add some high-biotin foods such as eggs, peanuts, almonds, wheat bran and avocado.
7. Strengthen your immune system. No-one likes being sick and missing out on anything, smoothie have been proving to strengthen your immune system and fight back that nasty flu.
8. Healthy ingredients galore. The number of healthy ingredients available for smoothies is practically limitless. After your basic fruits and vegetables, you can add an array of the various spices, herbs, superfoods, and other health foods. The possibilities and combinations are endless.
9. Happiness. Wake up with that refreshed and happy feeling, start your day the right way with a nutritious packed drink.
10. Fun! Last but not least it is fun making smoothies, add anything you like and experiment.
Check out some of the best blenders on the market today.